Admissions for 2019–2020
Applications for August, 2019 are closed.
Some results of the entrance examinations held on
Wednesday, May 15, 2019 for the BSc, MSc and PhD programmes
at CMI are now available via the link on the right. All
results will be announced on this website by June 18, 2019.
Here is the schedule for applications for the session
starting in August, 2019 (academic year 2019–2020).
Applications open (online and paper): Monday, 11 March, 2019
Last date of issue of paper applications : Friday, 12 April, 2019
Last date to fill out online applications,
(including online payments),
and for paper applications to reach CMI : Saturday, 13 April, 2019,
Last date for updating DD details online : Tuesday, 16 April, 2019, 23:59 IST
Last date for DDs to reach CMI : Monday, 22 April, 2019
Admit Cards to be available online : Wednesday, 1 May, 2019
Date of the Entrance Examination : Wednesday, 15 May, 2019
- Date of announcement of results : Before Tuesday, 18 June, 2019
- Interviews :
- PhD Mathematics (applicants wih NBHM PhD fellowship) : Monday-Tuesday, 27-28 May, 2019
- PhD Mathematics (applicants qualifying through CMI entrance exam) : Monday-Tuesday, 17-18 June, 2019
- MSc Mathematics :Wednesday-Thursday, 19-20 June, 2019
- Dates of the other interviews will be announced later.
Academic programmes offered at CMI
Admission will be made to the following programmes in 2019–20.
- There is a common entrance examination for both the
B.Sc. (Hons.) programmes. You need not select your course
at the time of applying. The choice can be made after
- For Ph.D. in Physics, candidates should write the
Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST).
Eligibility for Admission
- B.Sc. (Hons.) Mathematics and Computer Science: 12th standard or equivalent.
- B.Sc. (Hons.) Mathematics and Physics: 12th standard or equivalent.
- M.Sc. in Mathematics: Undergraduate degree
(BA, BSc, BE, BTech, …) with a strong background in
- M.Sc. in Computer Science: Undergraduate
degree (BA, BSc, BE, BTech, …) with a strong background in
- M.Sc. in Data Science:
Undergraduate degree (BA, BSc, BE, BTech, …) with a background in
- Ph.D. in Mathematics: B.E./B.Tech/B.Sc.(Math)/M.Sc.(Math).
- Ph.D. in Computer Science: B.E/B.Tech/M.Sc.(C.S.)/M.C.A.
- Ph.D. in Physics: M.Sc.(Physics).
How to Apply
You may apply online or request a printed application form,
either by post or in person.
For all programmes other than Ph.D. Physics, applicants will
have to take an entrance examination. The entrance examinations for
2019-20 will take place on 15 May 2019 at the following
locations: Ahmedabad, Allahabad, Bangalore, Bhubaneswar, Calicut,
Chandigarh, Chennai, Coimbatore, Delhi, Goa, Guwahati, Hyderabad,
Imphal, Indore, Kanpur, Kolkata, Madurai, Mumbai, Nagpur, Patna, Pune,
Ranchi, Shillong, Silchar, Srinagar and Trivandrum.
For Ph.D. Physics, candidates should write the
Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST). There is no separate
CMI entrance examination for Ph.D. Physics.
Selection for all Ph.D. programmes will involve an interview
at Chennai for shortlisted candidates. For all other programmes,
interviews will be at the discretion of the Admissions
Committee—the Committee may call shortlisted candidates for
an interview depending on their prior academic record.
For details about fees and scholarships, please look up the
For more information, please write to email@example.com.