MADHAVA MATHEMATICS COMPETITION
(A Mathematics Competition for Undergraduate Students)
Date of the exam: Sunday, 7 January
Exam timing: 12:00 noon to 3:00 p.m.
Venue: Chennai Mathematical Institute
H1, SIPCOT IT Park
(Opposite TCS), Siruseri - 603103.
Phone: 044-6748 0900
(Directions: click here)
Seat Numbers are available here.
- Please arrive at the venue of the exam (CMI) by 11:30
- Students must present their college ID at the time of the
- Students will be allowed carry only ID card, writing
material and a water bottle when writing the exam. All other
stuff should be kept away (near the invigilator's desk in the
- Students are requested to switch off their mobile phones and
keep them away (either in their bag or at the invigilator's
desk) for the duration of the examination.
- Parents/guardians may have lunch between 12:30 p.m. and 1:45
p.m. in the student mess by paying (Rs.50) at the mess
- Snacks and tea/coffee will be available in the mess (for
Rs.25) from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.
|LECTURE HALL 5
|LECTURE HALL 6
|LECTURE HALL 3
|LECTURE HALL 4
The Madhava competition is a nationwide competition held primarily
for second year B.Sc. students, although interested first and
third year students are also allowed to participate.
The competition is named after Madhava, who introduced in the
fourteenth century, profound mathematical ideas that are now part
of Calculus. It is coordinated by the Homi Bhabha Center, Mumbai
and S.P. College, Pune and funded by the National Board of Higher
The nature of this competition is a 3-hour written exam. The
registration fee is Rs.100 per participant. The topics for the
exam are: calculus of one variable (sequences, series, continuity,
differentiation etc.), elementary algebra (polynomials, complex
numbers and integers), elementary combinatorics, general puzzle /
mixed type problems. For information on old question papers,
rules, prizes etc. one may visit the competition website:
If students in your college wish to take part in this
competition, we require one faculty member of your department to
take the responsibility of conducting the registration for your
college. It will be the responsibility of the faculty in-charge to
collect the names and registration fee from the interested
students and convey the information to the co-ordinators.
- Coordinator: Prof. Priyavrat Deshpande (email: email@example.com; phone: 044-6748 0962)
- Alternate contact persons:
- Dr. Kavita Sutar (email: firstname.lastname@example.org; phone: 044-6748 0961)
- Rajeshwari Nair (Librarian)(email: email@example.com;
phone: 044-6748 0904)
Instructions for registration:
We request the faculty in-charge to follow these guidelines in
order to ensure smooth processing.
- Kindly make a list of interested students. Please make sure
that the names are spelt correctly since that is how the names
will appear on the certificates.
- Please send us the list of students in an Excel sheet format
by email. In your list please include the following columns:
first name, middle name, last name, class/year.
- Please collect Rs.100 as registration fee from each student.
- The collected registration fees can either be submitted at CMI
on the day of the examination or be sent to CMI using any other
convenient mode of payment. The payment receipt will be issued